Operation PROTEUS is the deployment of a Canadian Forces team to Jerusalem to support the work of the Office of the United States Security Coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority, commonly known as the USSC.
Task Force Jerusalem
Task Force Commander: Brigadier-General Michael Pearson
Task Force Jerusalem is the Canadian Forces team deployed in Jerusalem to:
- provide the Palestinian Authority Security Forces (PASF) with training advice and support;
- help the PASF develop logistics capabilities;
- support the construction of security infrastructure for the Palestinian Authority; and
- facilitate co-operation between the Palestinian Authority and Government of Canada on issues that are not usually of military interest, such as borders and crossings, and movement and access.
The United States Security Coordinator
The USSC has a mandate to encourage co-ordination on security matters between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, and the efforts of the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank to build security capacity. Designed to support Palestinian security sector reform as called for in the Roadmap for Peace in the Middle East Peace Process (MEPP), the USSCs mission was established in 2005. It comprises British, Canadian, Turkish and U.S. military and civilian personnel.
Canada in the Middle East
Operation PROTEUS is an important component of Canadas broader engagement in the MEPP and the region as a whole.
The Canadian Forces have been involved in peace-support efforts in the Middle East for more than 50 years. Other substantial engagements in the region are:
- Operation JADE, Canadas participation in the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO), also headquartered in Jerusalem;
- Operation GLADIUS, the latest phase of Canadas participation in the United Nations Disengagement and Observer Force (UNDOF) on the Golan Heights; and
- Operation CALUMET, Canadas support to the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO), based at El Gorah, Egypt.
Government of Canada
Canada and the Middle East Peace Process (Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada)
Government of the United States
United States Security Coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority (U.S. Department of State)
- Date modified: